These collections detail the African-American experience in Columbus from the early 1800s through the late 1900s.
The African-American Experience in Columbus Blog
- This blog features brief articles on African-American history in Columbus. Originally written for Black History Month in 2014, the posts have been recently updated.
Shaping the Promised Land: The Great Migration Comes to Columbus, Ohio
- An article examining the causes of the Great Migration (nationally), the extent of the color line in Ohio (statewide), and how African Americans in Columbus (locally) took a leading role in shaping the city to provide increased economic and political opportunities.
The Desegregation of Columbus Schools
- Resources for teaching about school desegregation in Columbus, including discussion panel audio clips, newspaper articles, and a monograph
Additional Resources (External Sites):
African-American Settlements and Communities in Columbus, Ohio in 2014
- A report published by the Columbus Landmarks Foundation in 2014.
Columbus African American Collection
- From the Columbus Metropolitan Library, this collection includes newspapers, photos, pamphlets, directories, etc. on the history of African Americans in Columbus.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.